2.03.2009

Rust, Rust, Go Away

As both of my bikes are not in great shape, I have begun the slow process of trying to improve them. Basic cleaning, removing rust, tightening blots, adjusting fenders, and assessing more critical damage is as far as I have gotten. BB is the less ambitious project obviously. Light rust covers all the chrome as well as the faux-chrome parts. I was going to have at it with brass wool after watching a youtube video of restoring old bikes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C9R7XjhUuo). Then I talked with the guy at the bike shop and he said WD-40 would work great. Doing a little more research I came across a great blog called How To Fix Bikes (see sidebar)--he suggests steel wool and metal polish with great step by step directions. But it was reading the comments section on his blog that I came across the suggestion to just use some wet aluminum foil like sandpaper. So I figured--why not give that a try. It was worth a shot and maybe I could save a trip to the store and spending more money on supplies. I was very doubtful about this approach and unsure if it would cause more harm than good--so I decided to give it a shot on BB (the Beater Bike) instead of screwing up the old Sears. And I'll be damned but it worked. It worked really well. I started on a small part of the beat up front fender, continually wetting it with a damp rag. Before long it was gleaming except for a small area where the "chrome" was peeling away. Then I did a small section of the handlebar and that looked great as well. I noticed there were still little pockmarks but not more rust. I don't know if brass wool would smooth the chrome out of if it would basically just get rid of the rust as well, but for BB the Huffy, I am not too concerned with detail right now.

Of course I got curious and excited to try this little technique on an inconspicious part of the Sears bike, so I started on one of the fender braces. Now, the Sears is pretty encrusted in rust. There is basically no chrome showing except on the handlebars, head tube and pedals. The wheels and spokes are completely covered. Ditto other smaller metal components. So even though I knew the tin foil trick worked on the Huffy I did not really expect quite the same results on the Sears. Well, slap me hard and call me stupid for doubting. That little crusty, rusty fender brace came clean in 5 seconds. I didn't even really put any elbow grease into it. Wipe with wet rag, rub with tin foil, wipe with wet rag again and wipe with dry rag. Bam! it was like a new part! So now a little more believing, I went at one of the spokes. I didn't even expect to find real metal under all that crap on there, but sure enough in a matter of seconds the rust was gone and the 40 year old metal finally saw the light of day again.

I haven't really gotten much further on either bike yet. I think it will be a lot easier of a task if I can remove the part I want to work on, clean it and then put it back together. I don't have a workstand, so right now it's a lot of bending and arm twisting and I'm starting to feel like a cross between John Candy and Houdini.

I also need to take the Sears into the bike shop. The owner took quite a while to chat and help me get started when I dropped in last week and he said on of his mechanics loves refurbishing old bikes and would love the chance to go over my Sears with me. He would explain what needs fixing and give me some suggestions on how to tackle the more simple tasks. Then if I wanted he could take care of the more involved aspects. I like this compromise--I want the Sears to be my project, but I don't want to butcher it and I don't want to take 40 years to get it road ready. So hopefully this week I'll be able to get the bike down there and get started on returning it (at least partially) to it's former glory. I have given it an abbreviated cleaning from top to bottom already and am really glad to see that the decals and the paint so very little damage. I am guessing (wildly) that the chain will need replaced and maybe the bearings as well. I'm hoping against hope the Sturmey-Archer gear hub is in working condition. I know for certain the rear tire, the brakes and brake cables, and the shifting cable all need replaced. The wheels are also in possible need of replacement, but I'm hoping I can hold off on that awhile. I also know I'll need some reflectors for the Sears and a water bottle for the Huffy.

This week is supposed to be pretty cold (for NC) and with all the repairs and maintenance to do, I don't imagine I'll get much riding in until the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment