2.04.2009

Before and During

A picture is worth a thousand words, so I wanted to post a few of the bikes before basic cleaning and also some that highlight the damage that I'll be trying to reverse.


The Sturmey-Archer hub caked in rust and dust.


Close up you can see how dirty everything is and the extensive rust.


The hub is clean but still rust I can't get to until I take the thing apart.


Here it's easy to see how clean the hub was after a simple wash down.


Before shot of the dirt and corrosion on the pedals and bottom bracket.


It's a little harder to see the rust here--it's also not as extensive.


The rust speckles the handlebars and the gear cable is quite worn.


Not sure if the tin foil will work on the brakes yet.


This shows the completely rusted spokes. Hopefully there is still strong metal under all that. Notice the contrast with the far side fender brace which I have given a once over with the tin foil.


More damage to the gear cable: 2 cracks/splits and it's stripped below the cable guide.


The Huffy's awful looking front fender. The entire thing was rust speckled, but is now shiny except for this spot where it's actually flaking off.


The shine shows up a bit better in this photo. I'll have to figure out whether I'll touch this up with paint or just coat it with sealant so it doesn't get any worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment