2.21.2009

Cyclist on a hill

Thursday was the only day we got out this week and that was only for a very short ride. I did manage to make it up a few hills which was encouraging. Today we set out for the longer section of the greenway. Before leaving, I made some adjustments to my seat. The last visit as the bike shop, James had said my seat might need to go down but only a smidge and it probably wasn't worth it. Well I heartily disagree. I put my seat UP nearly 3 inches before today's ride. I fiddled with several positions before settling, going up by very small increments and testing each time. When we finally got out on the trail, I felt like I was on a whole new bike! I felt so much more comfortable and noticed even the bike handling felt different. I was able to use my 3rd gear extensively when before I only used 3rd briefly on the downhill stretches.

I had several issues with my 2nd gear today. It was acting up towards the beginning of the ride, but after 10-15 minutes, it would not engage at all. Each attempt ended up with the pedals spinning furiously with no resistance. Good thing I could use 3rd because of my seat adjustment!

I was able to pedal along easily, feeling like I was using only a fraction of the energy I had been previously. Before long, we were approaching the hilly section of the trail. I pedaled my way up the first rise and felt the old familiar burning in my thighs. And it was then I realized the real hill was around the next corner! I was determined to get partway up before hopping off today. I shifted down and focused on the road 1/3 of the way up. I kept my pedaling steady and tried to think positively about making it to my goal. When I reached the spot I had mentally marked, I still had a good bit of steam left, so I focused further up the hill. Now my thighs decided to let me know they were not agreeing with my decision to keep going. When I reached this next spot, I didn't know if I could make it any further. I lowered my eyes to look just beyond my front tire and kept pushing. Llama starting cheering from behind that I had made it! I looked up and around and felt my excitement surge! I really did make it up the hill! I was panting and sweating and my thighs were screaming but I had made it the whole way up.

We stopped for water before enjoying the downhill, and not many minutes later we had reached the wooden walkways and the end of the trail. We stopped again so I could take some pictures and then started back.


Bernard in the wetlands.

Bernard by the long wooden walkway.

More wetlands.



Spokes-eye view of the stream.

I have always liked this decal--take the long way around.


My thighs were pretty worn out by this point, and after stopping for some more pictures of the wetlands by the trail, I realized that the cramping was still plaguing me. We continued much more slowly back towards the truck. I did have to walk up the final hill through the park to the truck. I don't know if I will ever make it up this hill. But today I conquered the biggest hill on the trail going both ways. And my ride was much more comfortable after adjusting the seat. I guess now it's a matter of getting the old thighs into shape...

From one small rise to another towards the far end of the trail.


Looking over the beaver pond area. We saw tons of wildlife today, which thrilled me, including 2 herons and many ducks and other waterfowl.



2 comments:

  1. Your perseverance is inspiring! But now I've got "Climb Every Mountain" from The Sound of Music playing in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures!

    And yes, seat positioning can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete