4.10.2009

1 month, 2 riffs and my Blue Beauty.

Today marks the one month mark since I quit smoking. Everyone keeps asking if it was hard and if I'm going crazy. I'm not and it wasn't. I truly believe that once I got my head in the right place, once I was mentally ready to quit, it was that easy. The first week I didn't know what to do with my spare time. I ended up cleaning and reorganizing a bunch of cupboards. Now it's not a big deal. It wasn't traumatic for me. I think the thing is this: I wanted to quit. Why on earth would I miss an activity I hated in the first place? Why should I be aching to get that wicked drug back into my life? Why should I miss it? I'm finally fucking free! And I feel excited about it every single time I think about it. I wanted to give a quick plug to the book I read that made it easier than anything for me to quit. I went from smoking a pack and a half (that's 30 cigarettes) on a good day to zero without a problem. I went from freaking out if I got down to only one pack left to having 7 packs sitting on my bookshelf for over a month and never even wanting to light one. So thank you Allen Carr:



I also purchased the remainder of my supplements the other day. I now need to reorganize the "medicine cabinet" so they actually all fit. And then I am going to tackle the spreadsheet needed to keep track of them all. Hopefully if things go well I will be off a lot of these within 6 months. I don't like "taking" anything, so the sooner the better. Other than that there's not much new on the health front.

I did go on a wonderful bike ride last weekend that I didn't post about. I wanted to share the route and give a quick blurb about it. We decided on a route that would let us start and end in the same park via different bikepaths. We also included some road riding on roads that had bike lanes. This was our first trial with riding on roads instead of paths and it was a lot of fun. It was exhilarating and a bit scary at the same time, but I am always amazed at how quickly the same ground is covered riding a bike vs walking. We did have a small maybe 1/2 mile section where the road was two lanes, no bike lane and we would be turning left at an intersection with no traffic light and I was not quite up to that, so I wussed out and used the sidewalk. I know--shame on me. But I figured I would rather that and live to ride again than take my inexperienced bicyclist life in my hands and never get another chance.



I do wanna riff on two things real quickly. Every single time we pass people walking on the "multiuse" trails, we call out "2 on your left". Several times, people thank us for the warning. I guess my riff is that I feel every bicyclist should extend this same courtesy to other trail users. In general we are travelling much faster and coming up on people much more from behind. I know that when we walk these trails, it is frightening and irritating to have a bicyclist go whizzing by and nearly knock you off your feet without so much as a "yo, I'm behind you". I feel like it would be a great thing for the bicycling community if this was standard practice. it's one of those ways to get more people "on our side" as it were instead of alienating them with rude behavior.

Riff #2. "multiuse trails". As denoted on the "biking/hiking" maps provided by our town there is no distinction between a hiking and a biking trail. They are both marked with the same color line. Of course, we didn't actually know this until we were rather lost several miles from our car looking for a trailhead to the "path" we saw on our map. This path was actually more like a deer trail for the first hundred feet off the road. But it took us about 20 minutes to actually find it as there was not even a sign posted indicating where it was. And I don't know if anyone else has ever attempted riding 30-50 year old road bikes on a gravel and dirt "path", but let's just say it wasn't fun. So our bike ride ended up having this long "bike/hike" section smack dab in the middle of it. Not a huge deal, but pretty inconvenient. And all it would take would be a simple ink difference to indicate this trail was not "bicycle" friendly. At least we weren't on rollerblades or something...


One last thing. I think I forgot to share that I got a "new" bike about 2 months ago. I got a Schwinn beauty and have absolutely enjoyed every second on her. Her 10 speeds make a lot of difference to a novice like me and make our rides feel a bit less intimidating. She is yet unnamed. I wanted a nice movie star from Chicago type of name, but a quick search failed to produce anything interesting and I ... lost interest. I call her "Blue" sometimes and it seems appropriate if not exactly inspired. So here are some pics of the Schwinn on her first ride and on our bike hike ride from this past weekend as well.

My "Blue Beauty" on the first ride--sheer joy!


Gorgeous-and look at all those speeds!


Tricky part of our ride where about 1/2 mile was paved, and then it turned back to gravel.


No comments:

Post a Comment